Indiana was the worst. All the way through we were in the middle of a storm with a tornado warning. The rain made it hard to see and the wind was moving the car around on the road. It was nerve-wracking just to ride in the passenger seat! Not to mention this all occurred after the sun went down. There is no way I could have driven in that kind of weather while keeping on schedule! We finally got to our stop - Lexington, KY - and brought in the New Year by passing out from exhaustion. Still, it was the best New Year's C. and I have had together since we've met. Our first one, of 08/09, I got frostbite or close to it from standing outside in the freezing cold to watch the ball drop. As soon as it was down, we kissed, and booked it as fast as we could to my house. We spent the rest of the night sitting on the couch as my feet soaked in a pot of water to try to warm up. Not exactly my idea of a good time.
Yet it was a better time than last year's New Year's, C. was home on leave before TBS and we had planned to go and celebrate, but that morning he started to feel sick. By the time 7 pm rolled around, he was not doing well at all. He couldn't keep anything down, and was severely dehydrated. Off to the ER we went! He got IV's, medicine, and was diagnosed with a stomach virus. Not the flu, but it was highly contagious. We rang 2010 in a couple hours after coming home from the hospital. Somehow I managed not to catch whatever it was he had, thankfully!
That brings us to this year, I guess the third time really is the charm. We were half way to North Carolina, and half way to living together. We have been talking about this for a long time, and here we are, it's happening. It hasn't sunk in yet. I'm so incredibly happy and on cloud 9 though, that's for sure. I don't regret it one bit. There's nothing better than to have him come home from work to me, and to know that the waiting (for now) is over. West Virginia was my favorite part of the drive, the mountains are beautiful. I am finally seeing the country, just like I've always wanted. Plus, I remembered that years and years ago I wanted to live in North Carolina one day. Well here I am! Funny how things work out. It is pretty odd to feel artillery blasts from base and have helicopters fly by on a regular basis though!
It's been a long year and a half apart, but we made it :) I can't wait to see where life takes us.
No comments:
Post a Comment