Pages

2.07.2011

Weekend to Remember :)

What a weekend!!

Last Monday, I saw a post online for a dog named Nala at an animal shelter two hours away. She is a plott hound / lab mix, and had the cutest stripey coat I have seen.

The picture that sold us :)
However, the ad did not say how old she was. Ideally, we were hoping to get an older puppy, less than a year old but definitely old enough so she doesn't have to be babysat if we both have to leave the house. So, after a few days of constantly thinking of her, we emailed the poster on Thursday to ask how old she was. They believe she is between 9-12 months old and they mentioned if we were interested, to put a hold on her because she was on the extremely urgent list. Having heard that, we decided we would call our landlords to approve her and pay the pet free on Friday and go get her the next week.

That all changed on Friday when we found out she was on the euthanize list. I PANICKED. I called the property manager right away, they approved her on the spot over the telephone. I immediately called the shelter and told them we would pick her up Saturday morning. C. got home from work relatively early and we went straight into town to get her doggy supplies. We planned on getting a dog, and renting a pet friendly house was the number one priority for us, but we never knew WHEN we would get one. Then Nala came into our life :) I cannot believe that she was the dog that was in that shelter the longest.

Saturday morning, we packed up our stuff and set off to the shelter. Two and a half hours later, we were meeting our baby girl. I was hoping they wouldn't make us go inside the shelter and see all the other dogs, but they did. Nala jumped right up on the fence and started licking our hands and whining with excitement. Then we opened the cage and she dropped to ground.. she was so scared. After some very enthusiastic coaxing, she low crawled all the way over to us for some lovings. She stunk so bad :( I felt so sorry that we couldn't take the other dogs there, they looked so desperate. I cry thinking about them. I'm just so thankful that we could save Nala, she is so sweet.

She did so good on the ride home :)
After her bath, in her new home :)
Saturday was a good day! Except C. forgot his wallet at the shelter and we didn't realize it until we got home, so he had to go back Sunday. Nobody that worked there wanted to come in and give it to him though and he was gone for nine hours.. I felt so bad for him and I was extremely unimpressed with the manager being rude to him on the phone about it. It wasn't like he was there to pick up a sweatshirt, it was his wallet with military ID that is completely vital for him doing his job and getting on the rifle range. We drove four hours the day before to adopt one of their urgent dogs yet nobody was willing to take a half hour of their day to help him get his wallet out of the office! Disappointing and frustrating... (Yes he did finally get it back!)

This was all made up for when the Packers won the Super Bowl!! Wooooo!! Go Pack Go!! So jealous of everyone back home who is within driving distance of Green Bay.. I know people at Northern who are skipping class today to go tailgate at Lambeau. That is the best excuse to skip class that I've ever heard of! All season long my dad and I would talk about the games, either the night of or the day after, so he was the first one I called when they won. He picked up the phone with "Packer Central!" Woo! Who would have ever guessed, Packer Super Bowl Champs after that horrendous loss to the Lions earlier this season?? Guess that was their wake up call!

So Proud! They blew everyone's expectations out of the water with how many injuries they have had this year, even in the Super Bowl itself they had key players out to injury, and they overcame them all to win!

Happy Monday!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh she is adorable! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your puppy is so precious. It really is shameful the way people treat animals and I am glad Nala has a new loving home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Puppies bring so much happiness,It may sound odd but I didnt know how much I could love until I found mine which is sleeping right next to me.Shelter pups know they have been rescued and give so much love in return!!!

    ReplyDelete